Header AD

How To Deal With Information Overload


 In 2002, when the internet was really new to us in this part of the globe, I was a victim of information overload.

I would go online to check out how to start a blog for instance, and then each link I clicked would lead to another link, which if I click on it, would take me to another link and so on and so forth until I was completely paralyzed so to speak with too much information that made it difficult for me to achieve my aim of actually learning how to start a blog and then to start one.

It was not that I was not determined in what I wanted to do, but I just found out that each link I followed from the first one was always interesting and had a different perspective of the "project" I had in mind. And each link I followed took me away from the one I was on previously without actually completely reading it.

You won't believe it but months passed, even years and I was yet unable to start a blog.

And somewhere along the line, I even forgot about it completely and faced the internet marketing options of the products I was dealing with then.

However, one day in 2008, I was scanning through my jotters and saw all the write ups I had accumulated in the past years on how to start writing a blog. I reviewed the reason why I failed in those years and decided to give it another try.

But this time, I was determined that nothing shall deter me from setting up my own blog no matter how rudimentary it may be.

And these are the steps I took to overcome and overpower that power of information overload.

1.      I Decided To Keep To The Basics

After observing that I always got distracted by the claims of extra-ordinary blog that would bring in all the monies in the world, I decided to keep the basics of what I wanted to do first and that was simply - Get a blog!!!

A simple blog was all I wanted to start with and it was not rocket science as it was achievable if I kept to the basics.

The advanced could always take care of itself

2..     I Kept On Track

Having seen what "scattering of interests and efforts" caused me in the past years, I decided to keep on track this time around. And how did I do that?

I kept myself glued to the link I was following up on how to set up a blog, I did not click on any other link that was presented in the course of reading the content of the first link, until I was through with it.

I usually copied out the adjourning links to follow them up after I was through with the main topic I was reading or studying.

2.      I Acted On The Information I Had Immediately

This second point really helped me greatly to commence the blog creation. So instead of waiting to start after reading the text on a link, I rather was creating the blog as I was reading.

This was necessary for me to keep concentrated on achieving that goal within the time frame I gave to myself.

I refused to shift for later what I could do on the spot.

3.      I Committed Time To The Project

I literally forced myself to sit at one place and not to go anywhere until my rudimentary blog was put in place.

Yes, a combination of points 2 and 3 above really helped me to get the blog going.

And so after trying severally, I finally had a blog; and over the years, I had made it look better than how it was when first we began.

So, are you suffering from information overload?

You can learn a lesson or two from me

Share your challenge with us, you never can tell where help is going to come from

Have a very wonderful day


OBS
How To Deal With Information Overload How To Deal With Information Overload Reviewed by Onlne Business Solutions on 12:06:00 Rating: 5

No comments

Post AD